Friday, August 1, 2008

Lice HELL...

Oh my. I'm just now at the point where I can write about this and not weep. It has been a horrendous 4 weeks. We discovered lice on Brooklyn's head, then Bella's, then Booker's... and it has been downhill ever since. Our children now sleep on the floor with no pajamas, no pillows, and 1 blanket that gets washed in hot water every day. We put them in different places each night, and so much has been bagged up and put away. And after 5 treatments (including prescription poison) for each of the girls, 4 for Booker, and 3 for the rest of us (just to be safe), we finally decided to dye the girls' hair today. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd dye my children's hair. I had to hold back the tears -- I've poured so many chemicals on my precious babies' heads, and I'm the all-natural, organic, breastfeed-till-they're-nearly-too-old mom. We've been told the dye will do the final trick. We haven't seen bugs in weeks, but getting every SINGLE nit out of their hair (especially Bella's tight curls) is nearly impossible -- and if even ONE hatches, we're back to square one. Hours and hours and hours have been spent picking them out, but you just can't be too cautious. Suffice it to say, we are beyond tired, emotionally shot, and just plain worn out. I do laundry from 8 AM to 10 PM every single day... and when I'm not doing it, I'm thinking about doing it. Smile.

I hope to get the kids back in their beds soon -- once we're sure there are ZERO nits left in the girls' hair. Booker is clear, and so are the little boys. I swear, if we EVER get this again, I'm going to need to be institutionalized. Sounds funny, but it's actually not. It's been THAT bad.

Gotta run... heard the dryer quit. Duty calls... Karen

No comments: