Sunday, November 2, 2008

Juarez trip with Brooklyn...






You can talk about the rumbling effects of poverty until you're blue in the face, but they don't really resonate in your soul until you lay your eyes on them. The biggest surprise in Juarez, Mexico was the sheer joy on the faces of those who've been chosen to live such a purely simple life, unencumbered by the material trappings of this world. It was in those dirt-stained, strong faces that we saw our Gods reflection. Joy takes on new meaning - happiness is not a big commodity there, nor is it pursued at all costs. Joy is GIVEN, and it stands up under the weight of adverse circumstances. Its meaning has been completely redefined in my mind and heart.

Brooklyn and I worked in the hot sun for 2 days, smiles stretching across our sweaty faces, to build a house with other teammates for sweet Erendiala and her two teenage boys. I watched this woman carefully out of the corner of my eye during the entire building process, and I found myself shoving my own tears away as she choked back hers. I saw her wiping her face many times - tears of joy, no doubt, as the difficult path she's marched to this new day has been stamped with incredible obstacles. Intact, however, were her obviously loving relationships with her sons. My heart was most deeply touched by watching their mutual affection. When the new mattresses we'd procured arrived -- a total surprise to her -- she literally collapsed on to one of our teammates' chests. Not a dry eye in that dusty place, I'm telling you. And it was
just like God to have it be this dear woman's 36th birthday. You can see the cake ceremony in the pictures! What a delight! The dedication of the home was a tangible demonstration of Gods provision, and THAT is something I can better teach my daughter through her EYES rather than through her ears. It was a powerful moment to watch as a parent. We got to see the family for which our team built a home last year, too - and they are doing remarkably well. Evidence, I think, of how God can use a new home (and
a brand new start) to soften hearts. Truth is, He can do whatever He wants.

Brooklyn thoroughly enjoyed playing with the local girls when she wasn't hammering nails or painting the house, and she got to paint the nails and face-paint the cheeks of the precious children at a local food outreach our team provided. Nearly 400 people showed up for the meal and crafts and games. I was struck with how under-stimulating poverty can be - when you are concerned about feeding your kids their next meal, or having a dry place to live, or considering your infant's impending starvation or life-altering infections, you don't have the luxury of creating art. I saw about 20-25 mothers wait until their children had finished at the craft table, and then they quietly approached it and worked on crafts with meticulous detail for themselves. Beauty is so necessary to us, isn't it? God created us to appreciate it, and these women are no exception just because their circumstances don't allow for it. I wonder what untapped creative potential exists in Juarez. Perhaps we'll never know this side of heaven, but I bet those women will be creating masterpieces in glory. But I can't WAIT to go back and provide an earthly opportunity like that again.

Speaking of provision, we asked God to provide $16040.00 for the building of the two homes our team built together. Instead, He chose to raise up quite a bit more. In
addition to mattresses and gifts for the homes, we took gobs of school supplies that will be distributed through the local church, as well as sky high stacks of infant formula and diapers for families in desperate need - often the formula is the
difference between a precious baby's life or death, and their diaper rashes can lead to life-theatening infections. The poor in Juarez do not name their babies for at least a year because of the high infant mortality rate - a cruel reality of poverty that I can hardly wrap my head around. My dear friend, Quinn, started a ministry called The Babies of Juarez last year in response to what we witnessed - it is simply an outreach of diapers and formula. Each month she gets to send a truckload of supplies down to the children who desperately need them - and the local pastors get to pass it out. Consider getting involved. It is literally life and death. Her website is babiesofjuarez.org, and I will personally gather supplies should you choose to donate something!!!!! The website has directions for donations, as well, if you live out of
state. We met a pastors wife whose granddaughters life was literally saved by the gifts of formula, and the missionary in charge of the distribution to pastors has countless stories just like hers... encounters like that just change you, and create a holy fire in your soul to DO something.


Even after supplies had been purchased for the homes, medical clinic, and food outreach, we still had a wonderful excess of donations. 3 days prior to our arrival, a dear pastoral couple were informed by the Mexican government that the plot of land on which their home, the church, and the soup kitchen rest would be seized if they could not pay it in full. This pastors wife, a woman who's given her life to serving
the poor around her (and she is poor herself), is the same woman mentioned above. The amount needed was $6000. The man that approached our team told us that an
anonymous donation had been given in the amount of $3000, and would our team consider matching it to BUY this land free and clear for these dear people and the people they serve? It was DONE in an instant, and we got to stop by the property early on the morning we left. We stood in a circle and told them what had happened, and they
collapsed in gratefulness - not to us, but to the ONE from whom they know all good things come. Ministry will continue there uninterrupted, just as God intended...
thanks for your part in that.

I had the privilege of doing the devotions each morning for our team (Brooklyn read verses in front of all those people - so proud of her!), writing a dedication I had framed for the two homes that we built (my dear friend, Julie, translated them for me), and speaking at the church service we attended on Friday night. One song in particular really struck me - everyone had their hands up, and I found my spirit so
connected with the Lord, even though I did not understand a word of the lyrics. I just stood there with my eyes closed and tears streaming down my cheeks. It was a taste of
heaven, yes?! Then, God really prompted me to get up and talk about Bryant during the portion of the service when the Americans speak, about how our suffering can be used by God for good. His passion is restoration, and He takes the ashes in our lives and makes them beautiful in His time. I was completely terrified before speaking, but think
God used it as a point of connection with the dear people in Juarez who have traveled that very road, some of them multiple times. To God be the glory. I had several women
hug me after the service, and I'm telling you, that baby boy I never got to parent has certainly had a bigger ministry than I could've ever imagined.

Thank you for your participation in Gods work in the people of Juarez. I have noticed Brooklyn telling her siblings since our return -- "Guys, there are kids who don't have stuff and they are happy, so knock it off!" - she gets it, in her 7-year-old way. Smile. We sure hope to go back year after year.
Lots of love. Karen and Brooklyn Schelhaas

1 comment:

Sherry said...

A TOTAL blessing to read this account. Thanks so much for taking the time to put it on "paper" for the rest of us.