




What a trip we had... I can't quite figure out which part of the trip was my favorite... I loved each piece for different reasons, and I pretty much love being on vacation -- smile -- especially for 12 days with all of my favorite people. Watching my five children drag their backpacks through the airport was a special highlight. There is just something so satisfying about having our family complete and knowing that nobody is missing out on stuff any more.
We stayed at a place with tons of pools and lazy rivers and water sports and golf... took advantage of everything the place had to offer. Bella would swim 8 hours a day if you'd let her. Think we did do one 6-hour day, actually! Enjoyed the company of my brother, Scott and his family for a few days, too. We all did Disney together -- Ava (my niece) got in free because it was her birthday! Am pretty sure they'll never out-do that birthday. Smile. Brant is still recovering from the sticker shock of 7 tickets to Disney and 7 tickets to Sea World. We are definitely going on somebody's birthday next time!!! Smile.
My dear college friend, Christa, and her family hosted us in their lovely Ocala home for a full day, and the kids enjoyed traversing the property in a golf cart and roasting marshmallows in a real bonfire late in to the evening. As always, Brant and I thoroughly enjoyed just BEING with our friends, eating marvelous home-cooked food and sipping delicious wine, watching the cigar smoke waft over us as we talked. Our history with them is so rich. They were just here in our home over Christmas for a ski holiday.
After a stop at "Florida's Natural" orange juice factory (we drink it every morning at home!), we spent a day with my dear Great Aunt Dotty who is 94. She spent her life teaching in Africa as a single woman, so meeting Bella and Bode was especially poignant. I have been dreaming of taking my family to see her... to honor her... for a very long time, and am so thankful it finally worked out. There is a group of retired missionaries on the compound who spent their lives in Ethiopia, and they spent over a year praying for Bella and Bode's entrance in to our family. I've attached pictures depicting our time at their weekly prayer meeting. It was just beyond words for me... such a full-circle moment. Bella nodded her head in understanding as each person spoke Amharic to her. She felt like the belle of the ball and was just glowing when we left. I won't forget that day for as long as I live. The kids still talk about riding around the compound with Aunt Dotty at the wheel of the golf cart, and picking real oranges off of the trees for an afternoon snack.
Getting to watch Bella and Bode take in the ocean for the first time in their lives had me teary, too. Brock doesn't really remember his previous visits, so I guess it was kind of his first time, too! All five just frolicked for hours in the surf and Brant and I kicked back and just drank it in. Those memories sustain me when "real life" gets crazy and things aren't as rosy. Smile. Booker's memory of the beach is getting chased by some psychotic sea gulls -- they chased him for a good 20 seconds at full throttle and scared him to death! They were after his food -- we're not overly beach savvy, for sure! Once he chucked it, they flew off. Note to self. Smile.
Sea World rounded out our trip, and I loved watching my kids react to all of the sea creatures that we certainly don't see at home on a regular basis! I found myself swelling with pride over God's unmatched creativity. My kids picked up on that, too. Booker's favorite part of our trip was riding the roller coaster "Kraken" 7 times -- it goes upside down like 8 times. I did it ONCE with him... NEVER AGAIN!!!! Brant was a little more brave and went twice. It was his first time to go upside down in a roller coaster -- amazing that he's escaped the thrill for 38 years! We spent one day at Sea World in the FREEZING cold, the next day in 75-degree temps. We preferred the latter.
All in all, a slam-dunk trip. The Schelhaas Seven LOVE to travel!!!! Watch out, world!
No comments:
Post a Comment