
We had a real "moment" today. All five of my kiddos were sitting around our island in the kitchen enjoying their after-school snacks, and Brock pipes up and says "Mommy, I look just like Daddy." Immediately, my defenses went up and my instincts jumped to protect Bella and Bode from "that" conversation. Interestingly enough, though, God was quick to silence my tongue and assure me that this was indeed a safe place for the conversation to happen.
I replied to my sweet 3-year-old... "You're right, Brock, you DO look just like your daddy." Brooklyn chimes in and says "I look just like Booker". I seconded her opinion. Booker then says "Mom, I look a lot like you." Validated that as well. And then, as quickly as the conversation began, sweet Bella quietly gets up out of her seat, walks ALL the way around the island, cups Bode's beautiful face in her hands, and says "Mommy, I look JUST like Bode."
I bowed my head, hesitant for my children to see my tears, and thanked THE God who knows exactly what we need. He knew Bella would need Bode for this conversation... for perhaps a LIFETIME of these conversations... and He provided for her.
If there were ever any doubts about adopting two children from Ethiopia -- and believe me, there haven't been -- but, if there were, they all evaporated in that moment. For Bella, there is real comfort in having a sibling who looks like her.
Doesn't the picture PROVE it?!?!?! Such beautiful children, these two...
No comments:
Post a Comment