Friday, September 19, 2008

DUDE...

So, I hear Bella say to Brock -- "DUDE, get some pants on" -- as he's wandering around the house showing off his naked little self, proud as can be. I smiled to myself as I realized that she is getting so comfortable with English that she's using our slang to communicate! I marvel at her progress.

Her progress is really something to celebrate, considering the battles waging in her little body. She was diagnosed with something last Friday that will take monthly shots to control the problem. These shots will last for the next 5 or so years. That, and her brain was scanned via MRI testing at Children's Hospital yesterday. We're still awaiting the results (which will hopefully reveal the "why" of this diagnosis), but I have to tell you that as I was waiting for her to wake up from the anesthesia, I was gazing at her little quiet body, teary with the truth of her alternative. God knew what He was doing when He sent us over there to get her. I know she needed a family, but she needed good health care as well. He knew it, and He plucked her out of a situation that would've left her with lifelong problems, as well as a much shorter life span. I was hit upside the head with God's grace in that hospital room yesterday morning, and I won't forget it. I cannot believe how much I love Bella -- it surprises me. She is MY girl.

Booker is tearing it up on the football field, and we're enjoying being his biggest fans. He is now using deodorant, complaining about collared shirts and how "dressy and ridiculous" they look, about to blow past his Nanna in height, and working on his handwriting abilities. Smile. I can't wait until he can TYPE everything! It saved my schoolwork, too. If he could go straight in to the NFL tomorrow, I think he'd do it!

Brooklyn is still facilitating her "art club" outside after school, and loves to do anything that's school-related. I cannot relate. Smile. Man, that girl is SUCH a student. She is constantly writing things and drawing illustrations. WHATEVER, smart girl. Hee-hee. I'm taking her to Juarez to build a house for a family there with a team from our church. Am REALLY looking forward to some one-on-one time with her.

Brock is pooping and peeing like a champ on the big potty. Phew. Glad that's over. He whines with the best of them, though, and we're working on having whine-free days. Smile. I act like I can't hear him when his voice changes octaves, and I'm sure he'll need therapy for that someday -- "My mom ignored me". Seems to work, though. Smile.

Bode is still trying to get over giardia, bless his heart, but you'd never know it. The kid's got such a sunny disposition, and will hug just about anyone I consort with around here. Thankfully, he doesn't dive in to the arms of strangers, but he WILL march in to houses on our cul-de-sac unannounced and make himself at home. I swear, I turn my back for 2 minutes, and the kid is GONE!!! It's scary!

Brock and Bode are slowly but surely destroying our house, one thrown thing at a time. We may just bulldoze this place when we're ready to move -- it's seriously falling apart room by room (hope my realtor doesn't read this)!!!! And it's not because I don't have rules, all you naysayers -- it's just because they're BOYS!!!! It is CRAZY living with this many males!!! Booker actually ate -- drum roll, please -- SEVEN tacos for dinner the other night. SEVEN. What's he going to eat when he's 15 -- like a BOX of tacos??!!

Brant? Brant who?? Smile. We see each other, but not as much as we'd like. This is such a busy season. The few quiet moments we get together, we treasure. And then we hope those moments will "last" us until the next time, probably 126 days from now, when we'll get another one!

I write all of this nonsense with tongue-in-cheek. I love these kids and that husband of mine. I wouldn't have my life any other way. It is HARD work, circus-like at times, but the most satisfying life I can imagine. I am surrounded by love, and that's sheer, oh-so-messy bliss. Karen

No comments: