Ah... a minute to myself to sit down and write! My life now operates at a dizzying speed, so these rare quiet moments are something I really treasure. Again, just celebrating that marvelous intersection of what I dreamed my life would be and what it IS presently... it is that perspective that helps me through the often exhausting days of parenting and investing in five children... this is no small task! Smile.
Brant and I laugh a lot about the tornado of life in which we find ourselves. I was walking with a friend today, and we were talking about what a FULL season of life parenting brings, and how it demands grace in your marriage. Brant and I are constantly trying to sling each other some rope as we smile across the room at each other (or frown, depending on how wiped out we are!) -- five kids and piles of laundry and dirty dishes and forts made out of nearly all the furniture/blankets in the house seem to be intimacy killers, not intimacy enhancers! But the foundation is strong, and we're not bolting just because this season is hard. This is OUR dream, not mine. I am so glad we have 13 years of togetherness and teamwork under our marriage belt. I want to walk this road with no one but HIM.
My days start around 6:30ish and end about 11:30 or 12:00 at night. I have NO trouble sleeping these days, and caffeine is my friend. Smile. The "work" part of five kids seems like the easy part, if you can imagine that. It is the constant near-panic I have in my heart each day that I'm not giving EACH child exactly what they need that makes life seem so difficult. I am so ultra-sensitive to the emotional investment that each child deserves from his/her parents that I tend to be pretty "failure" oriented when the day doesn't go as I planned and I feel like I left one of them with a deficit of some kind. God is quick to remind me in those moments, though, that it is HIM ALONE that will fill those spots in their hearts that I cannot possibly fill every minute of every day. It is HIM ALONE. This is not an "out" for my responsibilities as their mother... but a deep consolation from the God who gave me these kids that I will NEVER be everything for them. So that's where I'm at... and, I'm eating a gluten-free diet presently to see if I can combat some of the lingering intestinal issues. Smile. I'd eat cardboard if they told me it'd keep me out of surgery!!!!
Booker is enjoying watching all the political speeches on TV with us and is asking such good questions. I went to the DNC after Brant got ONE ticket from work... and I loved being a part of history. I LOVED it. I don't agree with all the politics of either party, but can appreciate some of both. Booker and I have had some great conversations, and watching him really process the information is fascinating to me. He ain't no baby anymore. He's so tall and "buff" (this cracks me up) and is tearing it up on the tackle football field. His first game is tomorrow.
Brooklyn started an Art and Writing Club on our front lawn after school, complete with signage and advertising that blesses her father's heart. Smile. She is quite serious about it, and all the neighborhood girls seem to enjoy it. School comes naturally for her, and I marvel at her passion for it. Somehow I missed that genetic link. Hee hee. I can envision her in some type of nurturing profession some day -- a teacher or a health care professional, perhaps. She's always taking care of any one who will let her, and "give them some space" reminders from her parents only frustrate her. Smile. I am taking her to Juarez, Mexico in October to build a home for people who need it. Really excited to have some one-on-one time with her.
Bella, Bella, Bella. She's given us quite a scare with some health issues lately, and we're still awaiting some results from extensive testing. Think she'll be okay, though, and it just has us THANKING GOD that she's in our family and can receive the help she may need in this great country in which we live. She is meticulous about her home work and is currently watching "Muzzy:ESL" as I type. She is mad as a hornet that she can't balance the tagalong for the bike and is still stuck in the trailer. Smile. She has such fierce determination and that will serve her well, I know. That smile she has is seriously contagious, and she flashes it after she prays at meals or before school -- she is SO proud of her English! Kindergarten still seems to be the right fit for her, and she would swim every day if she could.
Brock is POTTY-TRAINED!!! What a chore that was! He is very proud of his accomplishments and tells EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, that he now poops in the big potty. Not a shy bone in his body, that one. He of course picked out a toy rifle to celebrate, and has subsequently been shooting everything in sight, much to my chagrin. But they tell me this is normal for boys!!!!
Bode is such a simple little boy, and I mean that in the very best way. He is so refreshing to all of us. Full of smiles and hugs and kisses for all. He's quite the wanderer, though, and I've found him in our new neighbor's living room, making himself at home! English is coming quickly for him, and he no longer has an Ethiopian accent. This makes me profoundly sad.
There, I did it. I accomplished something on my to-do list!!! Off to gloat for a bit... I did it!!!! See, it's the simple things that light my fire! Smile. Karen
Friday, September 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
What a delight to follow your adventure into extended parenting. Your spirit lights MY fire. Smile. Thanks for faithfully updating your blog so that the rest of us can following you with interest, love, and prayer.
(Quinn's mom) Sherry
Thanks for sharing. Keep it coming, even if it is just pictures. Miss you all so much!
Karen- you may remember me as one of Eric's annoying punk friends, and to be fair, I'm sure I was annoying as well as a punk, but I just heard about your family and your experience from the VerSteegs (through my mother) and couldn't help but send a message. I have enjoyed reading about your adoption journey- my wife and I are now 5 months into the waiting period between completing our dossier and waiting for a referral from Ethiopia. We feel called to adopt a sibling set and to begin increasing the size of our family via adoption. As you have already blazed that trail, we will be praying for your family and would of course covet your prayers as we wait to see the children that God has selected for us. In the interim period we are just trying to reach out to other families that have felt that calling.
We'd love to hear from you.
Post a Comment