Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Gotcha Day





Today rivals the day I married Brant and the days I
birthed our three children. There really aren’t words
to describe today. But you know me. I’ll give it my
best shot. Smile.

We arrived in to Addis early this morning after
meeting my mom at Heathrow yesterday. We all slept
some on the long flight, but sheer adrenalin kicked in
as soon as we started to descend in to Ethiopia. I
was mesmerized. Years have gone in to this day, and
the reality of it all really hit me as soon as I
caught my first glance of the landscape of this
marvelous country that has given me two of its
precious children.

We checked in to our hotel, showered, and were picked
up at 1 PM by our agency’s staff here. The ride from
our hotel to the foster home was the longest ride of
my life. My heart was pounding, I kept pushing back
tears, and I wasn’t sure I was breathing.

We pulled up to a big gate, and were slowly greeted by
some children. So polite and eyes the size of
saucers. You could tell they knew who we were… but no
Bode Samuel or Bella Adanech appeared. And then, just
like that, they rounded the corner, and the first
picture I’ve attached shows you the moment (way to go,
Mom). We dropped to our knees, tears flowing, and
gathered them up, just like we’d dreamed we would.
They were completely silent, but eventually the smiles
started being thrown our way, ever so shyly. After
I’d held Bella for a bit, she reached over and kissed
my cheek. You can’t imagine. You just can’t imagine.
I can’t even write it without crying. And Bode
burrowed right in when it was my turn to hold him… as
though he knew his place. My heart is so warmed by
these children.

They showed us where they’d lived all these months,
and in Bella’s room that was full of girls her age,
they all came up to her to say their goodbyes. You’ll
notice by the picture that I was choking back sobs…
truly. It was her family. But she has been grinning
and hugging and prancing about ever since, so even
though I know her heart hurts, she has a glimpse in to
what might be ahead for her.

Bode is just as I suspected. He is a DUDE. He’s
already winning hearts at the hotel, kicking his new
soccer ball every which way (and can I just mention
that the kid is CRAZY coordinated?!). When he smiles,
I just fall in to those pools he has for eyeballs…
just wait and see. You won’t believe him.

Bella is shy, but dainty and sweet. She keeps looking
up at me and smiling. She’s hardly said a word, but
her little giggles and hugs communicate volumes. She
was ready for parents – it’s been obvious all day.
And her new surroundings are overwhelming, I think –
the beauty in this place we’re staying (thanks to some
dear friends in Denver) is unparalleled in all of
Ethiopia, and she just keeps staring at everything. I
can’t imagine what’s going through her little head.
But I can tell she appreciates the beauty. It’s
obvious. When I got out all the little dresses that
I’d packed for her, she kept smiling and burying her
head in a pillow… by the last dress, she was wiping
silent tears out of her eyes. Made me cry, too.
Goodness, you just can’t imagine.

Gave them their first baths tonight – each by
themselves – and it was a wonderful bonding
experience. I imagine it’s the first hot bath they’ve
ever had. Bella especially enjoyed all the Carol’s
Daughter products I used on her afterwards – her hair
smells like heaven.

We’ll try to post again in a couple of days – internet
service is sporadic and difficult here. We’re headed
to bed soon – we are one wiped out group. We will
fill out paperwork tomorrow, then head to our Embassy
Appt on Tuesday. Love you all, and can’t WAIT to get
home with our little darlings… especially to our
children at home – oh, how we miss them!!!! Karen…
for all SEVEN of us…

No comments: