




After touchdown in Denver, we made our way to the escalator at DIA that would finally unite us as a family of seven. Oh, how I've waited for this day for YEARS. The kids were very groggy, as we had to wake them up when we landed (it was late-night for their body clocks). They rallied, however, and as soon as we'd gotten to the top of the escalator, I saw Brock come FLYING across the floor. Oh, that little boy. How we love him. Booker and Brooklyn were quite embarrassed by the MANY onlookers, and they approached us rather shyly. But it was a wonderful reunion. I've traveled quite a bit -- but I have NEVER missed my kids like I did on this trip. NEVER. Holding them again was a dream come true.
Brant's parents, my dad, my brother, and Brant's sister and her husband were all there to greet us. We made our way to baggage claim, where, by some miracle, ALL of our bags had arrived.
Buckling ALL FIVE KIDS in to the van was really surreal. By that point, they'd begun to loosen up, and Bella and Brooklyn held hands. They've been holding hands ever since -- really glued at the hip. I found them on the first night here at home all snuggled up in bed, arms around each other, sleeping peacefully. DARLING. Bode sang songs in Amharic all the way home from the airport, which completely endeared his new brothers to him...
We picked up pizzas on the way home, and enjoyed our first dinner as a family of seven. It was such a "moment". I will never forget it. The kids played ball in the backyard for a bit before bedtime, and it was really precious. Kids don't take long to start the bonding process... so fun to watch it all unfold. I wish you could've seen Bella and Bode's first "tour" of the house... by the time we made it to Brooklyn's room, Bella had silent tears in her eyes that eventually spilled down her cheeks. She has NOT stopped smiling.
This is just the beginning, we know, and we're anticipating some bumps along the way. But I have to tell you that we're really enjoying the first few days of being a family.
I am not doing well physically, and it's taking some of the fun out of it for me (thus, these VERY tardy blog posts!). On our first day home, I got the familiar twinges in my stomach and abdomen, and I've been puking and enjoying all that goes with that. Smile. Just glad I didn't get THIS kind of sickness until we got home. So, all you locals who are dying to meet the kids, THIS is why we've had the door shut and haven't ventured out in the front yard yet! Give me another day -- I want to really enjoy the big introduction. That, and our kids are really enjoying the bonding time.
Love you ALL. You have prayed and supported us every mile of this journey, and we will never forget your investment. Hugs. Karen... for ALL SEVEN OF US...
No comments:
Post a Comment