Thursday, May 15, 2008

Jolly Old England...






Greetings from chilly England! We are officially on our way! The first 36 hours of our trip had me in a daze... it all felt so surreal, and I was low on sleep from my trip to Cabo 2 days prior to our departure (for my college friend Ahna's wedding). However, I'm now feeling the sheer bliss of the reality that awaits us in 3 days. Bella and Bode are so close. The fog of jet lag is clearing, and I'm completely charged by the diversity that surrounds me on the streets of London -- different languages are spoken everywhere, and the skin colors range from the very light to the very dark, dressed every which way -- reminding me of God's artistry. I've probably stared more than I should, but I'm simply in awe. How I love to travel.

Our flight from Denver was uneventful, and as soon as we dropped our bags at the hotel (which is in the Belgravia district near Buckingham Palace and Sloanes Square), we walked for miles in the sunshine -- a rare day indeed! The Palace simply sparkled, as did the miles and miles of city parks... just glorious sights. I never tire of walking amidst all the beauty here, architecturally and otherwise...

Today, Brant went to work and I kept true to my promise to let the wind blow me where it may... espresso and pastries in Sloanes Square, an hour-long jog through Hyde Park and Kensington Palace/Gardens, a stroll through the Victoria and Albert Museum ("The Supremes" special exhibit caught me off-guard -- hilarious), more espresso at Costa Coffee (Italian) and lots of people-watching through the windows there. Then to Harrod's to gawk. Smile. Capped off my afternoon with a slow walk through the rose gardens in Hyde Park. I sat near one fountain for 30 minutes and was completely still. It's amazing what you can "see" when you're still. Rejoined Brant and enjoyed a fabulous Lebanese dinner, then an after-dinner walk through various gardens. Though my feet ache, my soul is rested.

Tomorrow Brant will work again, and I'll probably jog in a different location and discover who knows what. Then we'll meet up in the late afternoon and head to the National Museum in Trafalgar Square. Saturday morning we'll have brunch with my college friend, Debbie, and her husband, Rob, who live near our hotel. And Saturday evening we take flight to Ethiopia after meeting my mom in Heathrow airport -- we are SO close!!! Lots of love... Karen

No comments: